Improvements

Forum for general chit-chat or off-topic discussion.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

G0thic
Just popping in
Just popping in

Improvements

Postby G0thic » Sat Oct 01, 2005 13:18

Hello,

I must say I'm impressed with CEGUI but I see space for improvement. This is related to the 0.4.0 release. First of all, the shared libraries for CEGUI get installed into /usr/local/lib. Is this intended? It would be far more appropriate and consistent to put them under a subdir CEGUI as you do with the headers. Secondly, I've had problems with apps trying to use CEGUI because applications didn't search for shared libraries in the correct dir. Adding the search path to the default search path would be very simple when installing it and would spare lotsa nerves. Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Simon.

Exsortis
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Re: Improvements

Postby Exsortis » Sat Oct 01, 2005 20:17

It's standard practice for 3rd-party app/libraries to installed their stuff in the appropriate directories under /usr/local, i.e., /usr/local/include, /usr/local/lib, etc.

If you put the libs into a subdirectory, then you'd have to add the path to linker's search paths. While this would work, it unnecessarily clutters it up. (You might argue that installing straight into /usr/local/lib clutters up that dir, but that's precisely what it's for.)

You can always change the installation prefix using ./configure's "--prefix" option; for example, "--prefix=/usr/local/CEGUI", but that's entirely up to you. But the standard default is to put stuff under the appropriate dirs in /usr/local, and as long as the other programs are using pkg-config to set up the include and library search paths, it should work "out-of-the-box," as it were.

-E

G0thic
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: Improvements

Postby G0thic » Sun Oct 02, 2005 09:05

Maybe it is standard practice but when I installed cegui(libs went into /usr/local/lib), it wasn't detected by any app/game(and I'm not the only one). Make install shouldn't be too difficult to hack to add that dir under the search path(no pkg-config at home). I don't know much about standard practice but the includes are put into a subdir /usr/local/include/CEGUI , why aren't libs, are standard practices nonconsistent?

Return to “Offtopic Discussion”