Custom-made graphics for GUI?

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Anurak
Just popping in
Just popping in

Custom-made graphics for GUI?

Postby Anurak » Wed Aug 17, 2011 14:58

Hello everyone. I have some questions about CEGUI. Hopefully someone will answer them.

I've used C++ on and off for some projects over the years. Nothing too fancy, since I'm not a programmer; mostly simple games running on console window. I just have fun when I have time to spare. Lately, I decided to create a simple text RPG, similar to many board games which use dice and cards. I'm only interested in the visual presentation of the window, not 3d graphics or complex 2d. What I want to make is a fantasy themed interface which will have a relatively large text box in the middle with scrolling capabilities (to display dice rolls/damage/options). On the left and right I want to display information about the hero and his opponents. If it possible I would like to display some values that will change dynamically (like the health changes after some actions). I don't really need buttons, except for one that will open a new window which will show details/stats about my character. For all other input (option selections) I will use the keyboard.

Right now I'm on Windows XP SP3, using wx-Dev-C++ for the code. I've watched some tutorials, but I haven't seen any custom made buttons or imported images used as GUI elements.

I asked in wxWidgets forum, and I was told that wxWidgets targets "standard" applications, not games. So it will be difficult to change the look of the GUI elements. How easy is to do something like what I described with CEGUI? If it is possible, can you direct me to a tutorial showing how to import images as GUI elements.

Thanks in advance.

Jamarr
CEGUI MVP
CEGUI MVP

Re: Custom-made graphics for GUI?

Postby Jamarr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 15:55

I believe the majority of project using CEGUI use custom graphics. After all, most people do not want their project to look generic. Have you taken a look at some of the projects in the Project Announcements forum?

CEGUI uses Imagesets, which are merely sets of pictures grouped into a single image-file, to texture it's elements. So using custom graphics is really just a matter of creating the images, adding them to an Imageset, and telling CEGUI which images to use for different windows.

I am not aware of any tutorials demonstrating this.
If somebody helps you by replying to your thread, upvote him/her as a thanks! Make sure to include your CEGUI.log and everything you tried when posting! And remember that we are not magicians!

Anurak
Just popping in
Just popping in

Re: Custom-made graphics for GUI?

Postby Anurak » Wed Aug 17, 2011 16:55

So imagesets. Thanks
This is what I wanted to know before deciding to learn more about the Gui toolsets.
It is unfortunate though about the tutorial.

Return to “Help”